| By Jamie Stolarz |
Here’s a recipe most men will love. It’s so simple and it uses beer.
Plus, it’s got stealth health written all over it. Although beer bread sounds like bar food, it’s far from it. With 100 percent whole-grain, heart-healthy nuts and seeds, and dried fruit, it’s practically a super food.
I had beer bread for the first time one Christmas at my Uncle and Aunt’s house. It was so awesome. I asked for the recipe immediately and modified it to make it my own.
Beer bread is dense, moist and flavorful. Oh, and it’s filling, too.
Let us know what you think!
- 3 cups 100% whole-wheat flour
- 1 cup fruit and nut mix-ins of choice (i.e. sunflower seeds, chopped walnuts, pistachios, thinly sliced dried apricots, raisins)
- 2 Tbsp dark brown sugar, packed
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 12 ounces stout (such as Guinness Extra Stout)
- Heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Grease a bread pan with cooking spray.
- Pour all dry ingredients into a large bowl. Whisk together to mix well.
- Pour beer on top. Use a spatula to stir until combined.
- Transfer dough to bread pan. Use hands to evenly distribute dough in pan.
- Bake 1 hour.
- Remove from bread pan immediately. Slice and enjoy!
Jamie Stolarz, MS, RDN, LDN, CDE, is a registered dietitian, a lifelong cook and a frequent gym-goer. She’s also a proud dog mom and is currently planning her wedding.