| By Jamie Stolarz |
Happy New Year! What does the start of a new year mean for you? A fresh start on fitness, weight, health, family or your career? Do you find you set resolutions each year but have lost focus on them before the end of the year?
Unfortunately, big resolutions are set but most often are not kept. But there’s a secret to success! How do you make those resolutions stick? Let’s bring in the new year in a new way this year with attainable resolutions.
Here are 5 tips for setting yourself up for resolution success.
- Be specific about what you want to achieve. For example, if you want to eat healthier, specify how will you do this? “I will eat at least one fruit and one vegetable every day.” “I will limit myself to one dessert per day.” “I will pack lunch at least twice a week.” Specific goals give you a better road map than general ones.
- Keep it realistic. You want to believe that you can really achieve this goal. It may not be realistic to lose 100 pounds by the end of the year, but it may be realistic to lose 50 pounds. It’s better to have a realistic goal than an overwhelming goal that is abandoned or so many goals that they are forgotten about.
- Set a time frame. When will this goal be achieved by? Set a specific date and then work towards that date.
- Write or type your goals and display them in multiple locations. Consider putting them as a screen saver on your computer or as a weekly reminder in your smart phone.
- Act on them on a regular basis. Work towards your goal by breaking it into small steps and setting time each week to act on them.
Jamie Stolarz, MS, RDN, LDN, CDE, is a registered dietitian, a lifelong cook and a frequent gym-goer. She’s also a proud dog mom and is currently planning her wedding.